Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Monogram Wall Art

Looking for an easy home decor item that is "custom" made? Look no further....and if you love monograms as much as I do, this is ideal!

Here's what I used:
-Frame my sister had given me that had no backing or glass; there is a use for everything!
-A wooden "S"
-Black spray paint
-Feather Pick
-Ribbon
-Cloth
-Scissors & Hot Glue Gun

Materials
But let's take a closer look at the feathers...they're soooooo pretty and were actually the most expensive item out of everything I used! By expensive I am talking the whopping $6 at Michaels. Clearly not a bank breaker! Gorgeous...it also reminded me of my wedding as my attendants wore peacock feathers in their hair.

Fun With Feathers
Very easy directions...and it took hardly an hour. I spray painted the "S" while I was prepping dinner. Waited about an hour, and coated it once more. I cut the cloth to the size that would serve as "backing" for the frame and glued it on. After it was attached I trim the edges so they weren't so jagged...although it doesn't matter because it's the back!

Fabric Backing
Unfortunately, this is where I forgot to take more pictures. After I flipped the frame over I positioned the "S" where I liked it. I hot glued the middle and bottom of the "S" to the fabric. I cut a small piece of ribbon and wrapped it around the top of the "S" and glued it as I went. I glued the extra top of the ribbon to the fabric. This makes it look like the ribbon is holding the "S" in place. I cut the long spike off of the feathers, leaving about an inch of the spike to work with. I didn't want this attached permanently as I know I'll switch the feathers for varying seasons. Easy swap out!


Ready To Hang

I tried it in a spot in the living room, but didn't like how it looked. So I switched it to the wall opposite the front door. It's now the first piece of "artwork" you see when you enter the house. Great and easy project to do, and a great way to use an awesome frame that no longer has the main components. I excel in taking crooked pictures...ironic in that having anything crooked is enough to make me whip out a level.

Welcome!
...and I have obviously mastered getting a bad glare in the majority of pictures that I take to post on this blog. It's something completely diffferent from everything else that I have in my house, but it's fun and whimiscal, which makes me smile!
If you decide to make your own and have any questions about the process feel free to comment or shoot me an email. I'll make sure to get back to each of you.
~Keep It ClaSea



No comments:

Post a Comment