Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Passionate for Pallets

Over the past 6 months (maybe even longer,) I’ve been DYING to do a project with pallets. I have Pinterest to thank for this. You can follow me on Pinterest by clicking this link ClaSeaLdy on Pinterest . I’ve looked at hundreds of different pallet projects: shelves, coffee tables, garden planters, couches (yes, couches,) and thousands of other things. I’m not kidding- google “projects with pallets.” You’ll be blown away with the projects that people have done. Then I stumbled upon this gem, Wooden Pallet Dresser. Before we started redoing the living room, I wanted to make that for our media center. It has tons of storage, the look is rustic but not too “country,” and I could stain it any color I wanted!  My dear hubby even started bringing home pallets from work so I could start this project. The pallets were stockpiling, which was great, as I needed quite a few! Then...I didn’t make the “dresser,” because we bought one; fret not my readers, I had a backup plan!

There is a lovely dark green wall in our kitchen along side of a brick wall; where our brick oven is. Yes, it’s a functioning brick oven but we don’t use it. It has become candle burning central! I have been looking for a hutch/sideboard/display case to put on that wall basically since the day we moved in. We have a decent amount of storage in our kitchen, but there's not enough. We love to cook and bake, so we have LOTS of "small appliances;" electric skillet, KitchenAid, Keurig, toaster, blender, food processor, crock pot and about 5 others. You name it, we pretty much have it. The length of the wall is extremely odd, and we have low ceilings in the house. (One of the concessions you make with an older house.) I cannot find anything that I like. Well, that is not true…there have been numerous ones that I’ve really, really, really liked, however each one has always had something that I wasn’t “super excited” about. Whether it be the hardware, the finish/stain, or the actual design; I refused to invest hundreds (OK, thousands in some cases,) in a piece of furniture that I didn’t LOVE. I am that picky about certain pieces (actually most pieces,) of furniture. …and here’s my back up plan...the PALLETS!

The pallets Matthew had been bringing home were not the standard size pallets. These were much smaller, they measure 23 ½” in length, 4” in height, and 18” in depth. After some measuring and lots of math, I had my plan, on pink lined floral paper. Classic Caitlin. I’ve designed it so that I have a cubby for my KitchenAid, glass baking dishes, cupcake tins, bread pans, baking sheets, and pots. Ahhh, but the most important part will be the area for the VINO! This unit will be dual purpose, as the top is going to serve as a bar!'
 
Although this project hasn’t been started in terms of construction; the next post about my “pallet hutch” pallets will be “the reveal!” Now, I’m off to Lowe’s to get sanding blocks (or maybe I’ll rent an electric sander?!) stain, and hinges. Pictures and follow up blog coming soon…

~Keep It ClaSea

No comments:

Post a Comment