Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Winter Woes

It’s been a while…alright almost a week. Sorry. Am I the only one that gets into a funk during the middle of February? I don’t know what it is, but every year around this time I’m just “blah.” Is it the last homestretch of winter that we are faced with? The anticipation of all of the fun events we have planned for the spring and summer? Yes, to both of those questions. Truth be told, the biggest reason why I have the "winter blahs" is just simply that I don’t like living in New England. Tourists always say how beautiful New England is and that the people that live here are so lucky to experience the different seasons. While that may be true for the majority of my New Englanders, my 28+ years of experiencing the seasons is becoming increasingly miserable.

·         I do not like the cold. So for me November-March is not pleasant. November and March aren’t as bad, as the weather is still tolerable. December, January, and February though- they absolutely crush me, and I dread these months worse than going to the dentist. Which believe me, is a paralyzing fear. The trees are bare, if not covered in snow or ice; a commute to work becomes more fearful than the anticipation of getting on a roller coaster, I don’t mean that in a good way; going outside is met with all sorts of challenges, jackets, hats, scarves, boots, shovels, ice scrapers, etc; and my skin, goodness does my poor skin take a beating along with never ending chapped lips.
·         The snow. Here’s my ideal time for snowfall: a dusting coming down as we leave church on Christmas Eve that covers just barely covers the ground by Christmas morning. It’s just enough so that we can say we had a white Christmas. Then I’d like it melted within 48 hours and none to fall again until the following year. Shoveling plain and simple sucks. Driving while there is a snowstorm is like playing Russian roulette. The snow doesn’t stay “pretty,” and don’t bother getting a car wash; your car will be covered in salt and sand by the following morning.
·         And if you own a dog, I feel for you. If your dog is anything like Levi, you may as well build yourself an igloo in the yard. He LOVES the snow, especially when the winds are whipping and I can’t keep my footing as he’s bounding in and out of snow drifts. What is usually a 5 minute trip for him to do his bathroom duties has turned into “expedition North Brookfield.” My personal favorite is when the snow becomes so slippery it’s almost like ice and any sudden jerk of the leash from him has me sledding on my butt through the backyard. This has happened twice this year. Matthew can vouch for me, as he’s seen the bruises!
·         For those of you that think “oh Christmas won’t be the same without the snow,” you are right. It will be better. I like decorating for Christmas, the cooking and baking, and hosting Christmas parties, but could care less about what is going on outside of my house. You don’t need snow to have Christmas or to (excuse me, I’m going to be politically correct, don’t worry I’ll be brief,) enjoy the holiday season.

Here’s my theory as to why everyone loves New England. It’s quintessential, charming, and historic. Totally agree with all three of those characteristics that people typically dub NE as being. The scenery is beautiful; rivers, mountains, oceans, and forests, we pretty much have it all. There are four seasons so we get to experience “a little bit of everything.”
People have asked, “if you could move, where would you go?” One word: “WARMTH.” I don’t have a specific, but it’d definitely be south (Florida, Georgia, Tennessee) or west (California, Arizona, or Texas.) I know that these two regions have their own weather issues, but I would take them over snow and the blistering New England winter any.day.of.the.year. I wouldn’t think twice about it. I am 110% my father’s daughter in this sense. He hates the snow and cold as well; maybe I’ve been slightly jaded by him? ...if so, good!

Give me sun and temperatures that bottom out in the 50s…and I’m gone! On second thought, give me an island, where this view below becomes "standard." 
Matthew's feet in Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
Waking up to this would not be taken for granted. On that note, I suppose tonight is as good a night as any to really start doing some research on The Bahamas- that's where we are headed on our 2014 vacation.

~Keep It ClaSea

No comments:

Post a Comment