Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Refurbished Window Pane

About two years ago I was given a Christmas gift that I loved, but had no idea what I was going to do with the decorated window pane! I originally thought it would look great it a nursery/bedroom for a little girl, and held onto it hoping that it would be soon be hung as part of nursery decor. Fast forward to 2013, and our only child is a 4 legged black furry dog. Back to square one. The window took up quite a bit of space and is surprisingly heavy. Throughout a few moves (4 to be exact,) one of the painted panes (upper R corner,) ended up with a pretty deep vertical scratch. I was running out of places to keep it; there's not lots of storage in our house, and it kept getting scratched. How was I going to save this?!

Original Window Pane
After looking around extensively for something that would suit our needs and looking on Pinterest for inspiration, I had a plan. I wasn't going to be able to save the original piece, but I was definitely going to be able to rework it. The hubby and I love the idea of having a chalkboard in the kitchen and have talked quite a bit about finding a way to incorporate one. There's something fun and whimsical about it; even if it does remind me of solving math problems in front of a classroom full of peers, but it also is a great way to leave a quick little note for one another. I didn't want something huge, as the last thing I need is chalk dust covering my counters.

Krylon- Possibly my favorite spray paint!
I went to Home Depot and purchased "chalkboard" spray paint, as seen above, and "primer" spray paint. That was all I needed to get this project underway. From there I did some sanding. Not some, lots; as there was a crazy finish on the wooden part of the window pane. Once I had sanded it thoroughly (or so I thought,) I wiped it down with a damp cloth to get any dust off. Upon inspection the next day, I realized my sanding job wasn't as up to snuff as I wanted it to be...so I grabbed my sanding block and tackled it again, followed by another wipe down. Day 3: I applied one coat of the primer and then about 5 hours later applied another coat. Things were looking great. That weekend I went back in the basement to "wrap up" the project. I should have known better.

The primer had covered everything evenly, but I was still able to see remnants of the text and flowers on the window pane. I of course coated it AGAIN with the primer, thinking third time is a charm. Turned out it wasn't. In between the third coat of primer and realizing it was NOT working, I spray painted all 4 of the window panes with the "chalkboard" paint. Prior to painting, I had also sanded those and cleaned them thoroughly. I waited until later that night to apply another coat of the "chalkboard" paint. Those were coming out just the way I wanted...after applying about 3 more coats of primer. (Live and learn.)

Glass pane drying, sorry about the glare!
In true DIYer fashion...some time went by. More like a few months. Anyway, with a new sense of determination I decided that I was going to finish the project. Last Saturday, I took out my trusty white spray paint and lightly coated the window, and then applied another "chalkboard" coat to the glass pieces. After getting some reading and cooking done, I applied another coat of the white spray paint. Sunday afternoon I went to put it together, as I had finally gathered the other pieces I was going to use for the finishing touches! Yippe!

Just kidding, you can now start the orchestral ominous music. I was not happy with what I saw. The white paint appeared to have seeped into the wooden casing. It almost looked as though it had never been applied at all. I am NOT posting a picture of that as it's too depressing for me to look at :) ...I was PEEVED! I would have been better off having never applied the white spray paint, and just using the primer. This time I decided I was NOT applying anymore spray paint to the frame. I lightly sanded it to see if that made it look more rustic. Fail. I then had my "ah-ha!" moment as I spotted some stainless steel spray paint that we had. (I lied...I was going to use spray paint again, I just hadn't anticipated it!) I worked in about 3-4" segments. I lightly sprayed the wood, and then "scuffed" the paint with a dryer sheet. The texture from a dryer sheet made it appear more subtle, rather than having full length streaks. I wanted it to look old. Close up of the wood...

Doesn't look like it was spray painted!

Another spot...
Can you believe that this "finish" was created by using spray paint and a dryer sheet? Obsessed. It doesn't look overly fake. You know what I'm talking about; when something is sooooo overdone that it looks like it was purposely made to look old, but doesn't? I hate that. I'd rather have something look slightly worn and weathered than something that looks unnaturally old.
This one is my favorite!
I wanted to "jazz" it up so that it didn't look like a window pane with black glass, so I added a few "doo-dads." I had some flowers left over from another project so I added them to a corner. The green color works perfectly, as the wall that this is going on is a much darker shade of green. I attached those with my ever trust worthy "Zots." I made sure to adhere one to the actual glass, as I wanted them to be multi dimensional.


On one of my trips to Michael's I found "fisherman's netting." I.loved.it. (Obviously it was destined to be, as it was a way for me to add a nautical touch without broadcasting "OCEAN!") It was instantly added to my carriage, as it was a no brainer. I attached it to one of the glass panes, as I had now created a square where we could pin up various "fun things." Aren't the mini clothespins adorable? They will definitely serve as more of a decorative purpose as they are a little difficult to use. They're just SO cute, and I now have about 191 left...

Mini Clothespins & Fisherman's Netting
So, here is a picture of the final product. I can't wait until I have the storage/bar pallet unit built, as this will be sitting on top of it. The white and silver might seem a little boring, but I can assure you that once it's put against the green wall it is going to look amazing. Once the other project is done, I will post a picture of the final look!

Final!
If you have any questions about this process, or are interested in creating your own chalkboard window pane and are looking for advice, please ask! I promise I will try to respond to all of them and I'd be more than happy to share what I learned from my experience with all of you!

~Keep It ClaSea

2 comments:

  1. So cool! You gave it a totally new identity! I love the netting, it gives it the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! I've got a few other projects in the works that I think you'll love. I'll keep you posted :)

      Delete