Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

W.W. a W.W. #2

It's "W.W. a W.W. #2." Aren't you excited? For those of you that are new to the blog, "W.W. a W.W." stands for "Wednesdays With a Working Wifey." It's my day off from work (for the time being,) and will keep you informed of all of my "domestic duties" that I tackle during the day. Knowing it's my day "off" please keep the following in mind...

#1. It's MY day so I will do what I want. Most of these Wednesdays are spent at home where I'm honing my inner designer, chef, and housewife qualities. However, because it's MY day there will be Wednesdays where I will do nothing "home" related; a day of shopping, grabbing a bite to eat with a friend; or puttering around the house catching up on my DVRed shows.
#2. I will sleep late. This is an obvious.
#3. I will spend at least an hour reading. It is rare that I can read uninterrupted for 60 minutes.

So today was a pretty low key day. Private Practice ended last night and I am devastated. I'm trying to pick up the pieces of my Addison Forbes Montgomery-less Tuesday nights. Haha. I really am not sitting on the couch harping over the fact that one of my favorite shows ended, but it's 7 degrees out and I truthfully didn't feel like doing much of anything. Inside or outside. Did the standard: unloaded the dishwasher, washed the pots and pans, and did some laundry. Thrilling right?! No. Not.at.all.

I did go to Marshalls today, I know I know, a few sentences I was saying how I didn't want to do anything. I'll get back to my trip to Marshall's later. As I mentioned in the blog post last night, we are redoing our living room. We've lived in our house for almost 2 years now. Rooms were "finished" and the house had been "decorated" but I knew as I was doing these things, they were temporary. We've lived in this house. We've hosted holidays and partied like we were "rock stars." There have been arguments, which are then followed by long fits of laughter. We've had numerous play sessions with Levi and have even had some little kiddos running through the place. The living room always seems to be the epicenter of whatever is going on in our home. Knowing all of the things that have happened here over the past few years I wanted to make the living room ahhh-mazing. Here's what I wanted: something that was comfortable but slightly formal; warm and colorful while being relaxing; and most importantly Caitlin and Matthew.

Anytime you are redoing a room, I always say start with the colors. We had previously painted above the fire place mantle and a wall this inviting "Milk Chocolate" color that Matthew had picked out. That was not changing. I love the color, the way the mantle is decorated and the photo collage I have on the larger wall. Here's the color and the collage (sorry for the glare.) See why I said they were not changing?!


The biggest change was going to be the other color. Pre-make over we had this terracotta color that was accented in the curtains and rug. Then Levi got sick. Like exorcist type sick and we needed to replace the rug. I instantly (over the course of a week,) decided navy blue. After looking endlessly for a rug (we needed at least a 9' x 13') we still couldn't find anything. I took a massive leap of faith and ordered a rug AND curtains from overstock.com. That's right, I didn't see or "touch" either of these purchases prior to clicking the "submit order" button. They arrived and I was so relieved, I was in LOVE and SO excited to get everything in order.

Then...I was stumped. I didn't know what I wanted for seating (it's confirmed, we are getting a sectional,) coffee/end tables (decided no coffee table, an over sized ottoman with a tray...jury is still out on the end tables,) or a TV stand (this we got!) A few weeks ago we were at Jordan's Furniture with my in laws and I found a TV stand that I had.to.have. (The added bonus was that Matthew really liked it as well.) ...thank you... It was SOLID, which seems to be my word of the day; it has a distressed look, it has subtle blue undertones, it reminded me of something from Potterybarn, and there was plenty of storage! Here's the unit, (disregard the things on top,) I'm still in the process of adding the finishing touches and accessories; but it also shows part of the rug and the curtains so you can get the overall idea!


Unfortunately...that's all you are going to see for now! I'm keeping it under wraps until I have the room completed. So now back to Marshalls. I was looking for a few nick knacks (needed varying heights,) to put on a shelf that is getting installed. There were lots of things that I really liked, but nothing that was even remotely near the color scheme of blues and "naturals" that I needed. ...then I found something that I immediately knew was coming home with me. You will have to check back another time to see it!

My Decor Rules: find your colors and don't change them...don't pigeon hole yourself into a specific "style" of decor, meaning YES, mix and match various things, it will make the space unique...don't rush when shopping (which I often do,) you will find things when you are supposed to find them...if there is a piece that you've been looking at forever and really want, get it, and then make it the shining star of the space!

~Keep It ClaSea

No comments:

Post a Comment